My autopi need a better cellular antenna

Please Help me to buy an external antenna for my autopi:

AutoPi Dongle - 4G/LTE Edition (Europe 4G/LTE region)

The Signal in my city is very low qnd the internal antenna not work well!

Thanks!

The connectors inside the AutoPi are standard “SMA” male to female connectors, not sure on the correct connector “name” but you should be able to find a large variate of external antenna options with the needed connector if you google and locate it locally or buy it from any online stores. You should find the specifications from the AutoPi store and then just select a external antenna with the specs you are willing to pay for :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi everyone, autopi assistance is really nice!
I exchanged some emails and they explained to me that:

Its a standard U.FL-R SMT connector used for most antenna connections.
example: https://www.digikey.dk/product-detail/en/hirose-electric-co-ltd/U.FL-R-SMT-1(01)/H122041-ND/3978494
Both antennas cover the same frequencies, but it might not be necessary to add two external antennas.

meanwhile I bought this: https://amzn.to/2IoNxTZ (5pz from SMA to IPX/IPEX/uFL 50Ω 15cm)
I hope they go well, now I have to look for the right antenna!

Hello
I hade put external antenna too
It is working well. :smile:

please, can you tell me which antenna you are using, where did you buy it and with what results?

1 Like

I buy this on amazon
I had make test with different antenna, but this short one was the best
For make test, you can do by the terminal with this command:

qmi.system_info

qmi.cell_info

you should have less db than with the original. but if you are too close from the signal, you will see nothing different. I think more than 3 km from the spot, and you can see how your gain in db is.
Maybe try the test before change, then you can compare it.
there is two antenna and also the gps.
maybe you can put 2. now I had put 1, and it already good. if later not, I will put the second one.
becarrefull, sometime, longue or very longue antenna is not good. you should test to know. for me best result was with this short one.
from the picture, I use only antenna and the small connector. so the card I dont need, I trash it.
IMG_3325

2 Likes

I think I am in the same situation, but might need both GPS and LTE.
I was thinking of this;
Waterproof GPS Active Antenna 28dB Gain, 3-5VDC, SMA
(Which kind of sucks for a €300 device)

but does that mean I need three of them as there are three connectors on our modem?
Mine have the EG25G

thank you so much for your precious advice, I think I will follow it carefully!

instead my GPS works very well! for those with GPS problems, I recommend trying to move the single up, away from metal parts of the car. the antenna is located in the upper part where there is the loudspeaker, try to direct it upwards!

Hello,

Not sure if I follow, but you mean moving the whole unit up?
My is mounted on the upper roof in the legspace of my car, with the GPS antenna faced upwards.
I was told the same that as long as the device was mounted correctly facing the right way it “should” work fine.

but alas it is not :frowning:

You have external antenna for rasberry too
And then, no problem.

But the antenna for the Raspberry is only Wifi no?
The extra EG25G modem handles LTE and GPS.

Thus, I will either need to find an extra long ODB cable and place the unit on my dashboard or I will have to get a new antenna and hotwire it to the unit… :frowning:

They told me that above the GPS antenna there should be no iron sheet.
Even in my new alpine car radio the GPS receiver says to put it on the dashboard and comes with a metal plate to put UNDER the receiver to improve reception.
I’m afraid by putting the GPS antenna under the roof you have it shielded from the satellite signal!

I bought this 1 meter long cable and I brought the dongle in the middle of the dashboard!
https://amzn.to/2L0DAOn

Because cars connect, I had to go 30 km away from home, in the city.
this is the result of the commands in the city, where it connects

• qmi.system_info
  • qmi.cell_info

AutoPi.io Cloud Terminal - Use with caution. Type ‘help’ for help.
local user@Local device $ qmi.system_info
“[/dev/cdc-wdm0] Successfully got system info:\n\tGSM service:\n\t\tStatus: ‘none’\n\t\tTrue Status: ‘none’\n\t\tPreferred data path: ‘no’\n\tWCDMA service:\n\t\tStatus: ‘none’\n\t\tTru
e Status: ‘none’\n\t\tPreferred data path: ‘no’\n\tLTE service:\n\t\tStatus: ‘available’\n\t\tTrue Status: ‘available’\n\t\tPreferred data path: ‘no’\n\t\tDomain: ‘cs-ps’\n\t\tService
capability: ‘cs-ps’\n\t\tRoaming status: ‘off’\n\t\tForbidden: ‘no’\n\t\tCell ID: ‘204874025’\n\t\tMCC: ‘222’\n\t\tMNC: ‘01’\n\t\tTracking Area Code: ‘18708’\n\t\tVoice support: 'yes
'\n\t\teMBMS coverage info support: ‘no’\n\tSIM reject info: ‘available’”
local user@Local device $ qmi.cell_info

“[/dev/cdc-wdm0] Successfully got cell location info\nIntrafrequency LTE Info\n\tUE In Idle: ‘no’\n\tPLMN: ‘22201’\n\tTracking Area Code: ‘18708’\n\tGlobal Cell ID: ‘204867625’\n\tEUTRA
Absolute RF Channel Number: ‘1350’ (E-UTRA band 3: 1800+)\n\tServing Cell ID: ‘406’\n\tCell [0]:\n\t\tPhysical Cell ID: ‘406’\n\t\tRSRQ: ‘-11.2’ dB\n\t\tRSRP: ‘-106.9’ dBm\n\t\tRSSI: ’
-74.2’ dBm\n\tCell [1]:\n\t\tPhysical Cell ID: ‘238’\n\t\tRSRQ: ‘-12.5’ dB\n\t\tRSRP: ‘-109.5’ dBm\n\t\tRSSI: ‘-87.5’ dBm\n\tCell [2]:\n\t\tPhysical Cell ID: ‘237’\n\t\tRSRQ: ‘-13.4’ dB\n
\t\tRSRP: ‘-109.6’ dBm\n\t\tRSSI: ‘-85.3’ dBm\n\tCell [3]:\n\t\tPhysical Cell ID: ‘216’\n\t\tRSRQ: ‘-16.8’ dB\n\t\tRSRP: ‘-113.8’ dBm\n\t\tRSSI: ‘-87.1’ dBm\n\tCell [4]:\n\t\tPhysical Cel
l ID: ‘419’\n\t\tRSRQ: ‘-17.0’ dB\n\t\tRSRP: ‘-114.0’ dBm\n\t\tRSSI: ‘-87.1’ dBm\n\tCell [5]:\n\t\tPhysical Cell ID: ‘432’\n\t\tRSRQ: ‘-16.8’ dB\n\t\tRSRP: ‘-114.5’ dBm\n\t\tRSSI: ‘-88.
0’ dBm\nInterfrequency LTE Info\n\tUE In Idle: ‘no’\nLTE Info Neighboring GSM\n\tUE In Idle: ‘no’\nLTE Info Neighboring WCDMA\n\tUE In Idle: ‘no’”

Rsrp should be arround -80 dB to be very good
-90 is good
-100 is so so
But you have less. -109.6 !!! It is bad.

Also rssi is arround - 60 to be good.
You is -74.2 !!! Bad too

You should put antenna and maybe change carrier. Take another sim plan in other company.
In France best is Orange. So I take it.
Like that I am sure the problem is not the SIM card. But I also check antenna arround my city !

I changed operators (KENA was a regular operator first) and now it is TIM, an official operator. I am in my small town and these are the results. (always with integrated antennas):

AutoPi.io Cloud Terminal - Use with caution. Type ‘help’ for help.
local user@Local device $ qmi.system_info
“[/dev/cdc-wdm0] Successfully got system info:\n\tGSM service:\n\t\tStatus: ‘none’\n\t\tTrue Status: ‘none’\n\t\tPreferred data path: ‘no’\n\tWCDMA service:\n\t\tStatus: ‘available’\n\t
\tTrue Status: ‘available’\n\t\tPreferred data path: ‘no’\n\t\tDomain: ‘cs-ps’\n\t\tService capability: ‘cs-ps’\n\t\tRoaming status: ‘off’\n\t\tForbidden: ‘no’\n\t\tLocation Area Code
: ‘61448’\n\t\tCell ID: ‘94903105’\n\t\tMCC: ‘222’\n\t\tMNC: ‘01’\n\t\tHS call status: ‘hsdpa-hsupa-unsupported’\n\t\tHS service: ‘hsdpa-hsupa-supported’\n\t\tPrimary scrambling code:
‘79’\n\t\tCell broadcast support: ‘off’\n\t\tCall barring status (CS): ‘all-calls’\n\t\tCall barring status (PS): ‘all-calls’\n\t\tCipher Domain: ‘ps’\n\tLTE service:\n\t\tStatus: ‘n
one’\n\t\tTrue Status: ‘none’\n\t\tPreferred data path: ‘no’\n\tSIM reject info: ‘available’”

local user@Local device $ qmi.cell_info
“[/dev/cdc-wdm0] Successfully got cell location info\nUMTS Info\n\tCell ID: ‘30607’\n\tPLMN: ‘22201’\n\tLocation Area Code: ‘61448’\n\tUTRA Absolute RF Channel Number: ‘10663’\n\tPrimar
y Scrambling Code: ‘310’\n\tRSCP: ‘-76’ dBm\n\tECIO: ‘-3’ dBm\n\tCell [0]:\n\t\tUTRA Absolute RF Channel Number: ‘10663’\n\t\tPrimary Scrambling Code: ‘258’\n\t\tRSCP: ‘-75’ dBm\n\t\tEC
IO: ‘-3’ dBm\n\tCell [1]:\n\t\tUTRA Absolute RF Channel Number: ‘10663’\n\t\tPrimary Scrambling Code: ‘375’\n\t\tRSCP: ‘-74’ dBm\n\t\tECIO: ‘-5’ dBm\n\tCell [2]:\n\t\tUTRA Absolute RF Cha
nnel Number: ‘10638’\n\t\tPrimary Scrambling Code: ‘79’\n\t\tRSCP: ‘-78’ dBm\n\t\tECIO: ‘-4’ dBm\nUMTS Cell ID: ‘94926735’\nUMTS Info Neighboring LTE\n\tRRC State: ‘cell-pch’”

I will shortly be doing a test at my house.

I arrived home, the 2G (GSM) signal is almost full while the 3G signal is just a notch (on the iPhone). Autopi does not connect in 3G or 2G. does not receive calls, does not receive a wake-up SMS.
The wi-fi signal at my house is very powerful but I can’t wake it up.

Strange. You should use a special map to know wich antenna and wich carrier is close to you house.
Your signal look good. But your are in 2g or 3G. LTE is not
If it is the best carrier, you can put double External antenna same as I put the picture.
(There is 2 antenna and 1 for gps. Total is 3)
The 2 is same. It is the black color. Left and right. Middle is gps. Maybe like that you will have correct 3G at home