Problem updating to latest software on old autopi 5.0 device

Subject of the issue

I am bringing back into service an old Model 3 with the V5 board. As it was last in service back in 2021, I reflashed the SD card with the latest version and re-accepted the device into my account. It shows as being online.
However, it repeatedly fails to update the system software with the error:
Release '1.25.6' was not installed correctly because 8 state(s) failed. Retry attempt will be performed automatically at the next boot.

It repeats this error 5 times and then suspends the update.

Your environment

• The dongle has a V5.0 DIY board and is being powered using a lab supply via the OBD connector.
  • The SD card was re-flashed with autopi_core_tmu_180322_v1_21_prepared.img
  • The current software version is 2021.03.10

Steps to reproduce

In this case, simply powering on is sufficient. It fails every time the device reboots.

Expected behaviour

Update to the latest

Actual behaviour

Fails as stated above

Extract from `/var/log/salt/minion’

ELM327Error: Unable to automatically find baudrate from given choices
2024-05-23 10:06:05,373 [obd.obd          :108 ][ERROR   ][650] Failed to use explicit port '/dev/serial0'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/obd/obd.py", line 106, in _connect
    self.interface.open(baudrate, protocol=protocol)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/obd/interfaces/elm327.py", line 282, in open
    self.set_baudrate(baudrate)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/obd/interfaces/stn11xx.py", line 258, in set_baudrate
    super(STN11XX, self).set_baudrate(baudrate)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/obd/interfaces/elm327.py", line 530, in set_baudrate
    self._auto_baudrate(choices)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/obd/interfaces/elm327.py", line 878, in _auto_baudrate
    raise ELM327Error("Unable to automatically find baudrate from given choices")
ELM327Error: Unable to automatically find baudrate from given choices
2024-05-23 10:06:05,376 [obd_conn         :150 ][ERROR   ][650] Failed to open OBD connection
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/cache/salt/minion/extmods/utils/obd_conn.py", line 141, in open
    fast=False
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/obd/obd.py", line 62, in __init__
    self._connect(interface_cls, portstr, baudrate, timeout=timeout, protocol=protocol, status_callback=status_callback)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/obd/obd.py", line 111, in _connect
    raise OBDError("Failed to connect to interface '{:}' - see log for details".format(interface_cls))
OBDError: Failed to connect to interface '<class 'obd.interfaces.stn11xx.STN11XX'>' - see log for details

It’s full of these.

syslog is full of the same messages.

It’s been six days since I reported this. Is there really no support these days?

Hi @guff666,

I’d recommend that you try reaching out to support@autopi.io for faster help.

best
Peter

Thanks. I’ve done that now.

I thought I’d come back and close this off as I’ve got the device back to a working state now.

What I did was to reflash the SD card with the release that originally came with the device - 1.12.1 and then re-accepted the minion key. Once I did this, the device connected and updated to 1.25.6 with no problems.

The key take-away is that it isn’t always a good thing to immediately jump to the latest software because it may be too big a jump for the device to accommodate.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.