Add multi-user access

Hi,

I started using the autopi for a few days now. first question my wife asked me. Can I also access the my.autopi.io dashboard?
It would be great if autopi could offer an easy form of RBAC so my wife can check my system with read-only rights. Maybe elevated rights for daily management control and Superuser role for owner/ debugging/ troubleshooting purposes.

Just a brainteaser :wink:

Hi Pravin

We actually already (almost) have that feature, but at the moment the users have equal rights.
So if your wife creates a user, and then sends us an email at support@autopi.io with the email she used, and the unit id of the device, we can connect the two :slight_smile:

The part about needing to email us to connect the user to the device is also going away soon.
It will be available for the owner of the device to add additional users - which will probably also be where you set which rights a specific user has.

Best regards
/Malte

1 Like

Thanks again for your quick response. I prefer waiting for the option to self create users.
Also, is there a way to run the autopi solution in a on-premise closed environment? Or plans to host this in the near future?

Hi Pravin

No not currently.

But it’s possible to configure which rest endpoint it should send data to, so that is not entirely closed environment, but that way you can manipulate the data any way you want. But unfortunately, a lot of the my.autopi.io functionality stops working if there is no data for it to work with.

But implementing the rest endpoint yourself also means that you will have to implement the storage of the data, so while the rest endpoint is not too advanced, it will require you to also implement the other parts of the system.

Our management system is build on saltstack, and is in theory possible to setup yourself from scratch, but it’s not something we support. We may offer a self-hosted solution in the future, but it will most definitely be a for-business option, ie. paid.

We have some things on our roadmap that will make it more accessible to developers and hobbyists, though, but there is not yet any timeline for it.

Best regards
/Malte

1 Like

Is this feature now available?

Hi GBTransit,

Thank you for your comment. We’re glad to hear that you’re interested in this feature.

At this time, we regret to inform you that the user permit service is not yet available. However, we are currently working on implementing this service and hope to have it available for our users very soon.

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work to improve and enhance our services for you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.

Cheers
/Tony

Hi Tony,

Does “very soon” mean at least by the end of the year?