Where is all functions? Widget, Car Explorer, etc

Thanks for that I have sent an email to support

Wayne

Blockquote

Received the device today only to find out I’ve to create everything myself, thinking of sending the device back.

Blockquote

YEP. I purchased this device with the exact same idea in my head… to then find afterwards that none of the features i thought existed actually did… cost me $450 CAD to have this device and i feel like it was a huge waste of money. all i’ve been able to do is track the vehicle location (which it does very poorly) and have a wifi hotspot in my vehicle (which i had before i needed the sim for this…)

@waynez, i was having the same issues with the canbus tool but they seem to be fixed now… still cant get it to find what i need to do what i wanted though.

Hi @AndyT,

Thank you for your thoughts.

We do believe there is a lot of things you can do with the device as it is currently. You can log and visualize any data you want on the dashboard and setup remote triggers. You can develop your own custom code models and a lot of other neat features. Our development is always focused at what we believe most people will benifit from from, with the input from our customers.

We welcome any input and thoughts on what to implement next. If you reach out to support@autopi.io, they will be able to assist you with your specific project and help you start implementing the project you had in mind. Support can always help you with any issue you experience, but we can only fix what we know, so please report all issues you see.

We are here to help you get started.

best
Peter

@AndyT - yep seems issues with the CANBus tool issues are resolved - I too am unable to find anything truely useful through the CANBus.
I seem to be one of the unlucky ones that only had the D-CAN or diagnostic CAN exposed at the ODB connector, anything else is behind a firewall so the only option I have is to splice into the CANBus behind the firewall - daunting to say the least, I suspect anyone with a relatively late model car (in the last 5-6 years) will have similar issues.
I’ve made a start https://community.autopi.io/t/what-to-do-if-can-recorder-doesnt-return-anything/761/11 on digging deeper to see what I can get.
Not as simple as the website lead me to believe and it cost me $450NZD + $120NZD Import cost
I’m hoping development continues and the product gets to the point that was advertised. I have in the interim purchased a Panda OBD which ended up costing $107NZD looks to be a very similar device although it has support for up to 3 CANBus at once and is supported by a wide range of third party apps as well as their own, I’m unsure how many CANBus AutoPi supports I can’t seem to find any documentation on that anywhere.

Anyway, I guess that’s one of the joys of being an early adopter :slight_smile:

1 Like

I suspect a big part of the problem is that we see a set of tutorials on the web page - https://www.autopi.io/tutorials - to my mind, using the work “tutorials” implies you can follow along and do the same. But you can’t.

I would recommend that these videos are re-named to avoid false expectations.

3 Likes

@plord - 100%. I purchased the device under the impression that I could do the things noted there… Finding out that they’re nowhere to be found when the product arrived really pissed me off.

I had a device in my vehicle that could do essentially everything I do now with the Autopi… It has the possibility to do more, but unless you know what you’re doing you’re screwed.

In the current state I can’t recommend this to anyone… I had plans to use this for vehicle upfit work but there’s no way that would make any sense at all.

2 Likes

This is the situation for me, I was planning and going by the small amount of available Tutorials and information (there are almost none except for AutoPI´s own).

There are so many thing that I dont know if I am using it incorrectly or if it is just broken.

1 Like