What to do if CAN Recorder doesn't return anything

The official Kia/Hyundai guys will have the key (command) to bypass the firewall, don’t you think?

Now it’s up to us to get hold of this key, to find out how to retrieve all data from the OBD port.

Yeah, i’m just saying that it’s likely at least not physically separated from the CAN bus.

After some further research/googling, yes, it looks like the LKAS camera connector does indeed offer unfettered access to L-CAN and C-CAN busses, so that’s one way to do it, if you don’t mind the extra wiring and taking apart the camera assembly cover.

Additionally, from googling around some third party car starter data sheets and manuals for Hyundais (incl. Kona), it appears they all use the connector on the back of the fuse box, as outlined by @waynez although the connector appears to be in a slightly different position in the docs i’ve read. That one gives you access to D-CAN and C-CAN i believe.

1 Like

I still think accessing the CAN busses behind the radio would be the best idea. You have literally everything back there :slight_smile:

I’m probably gonna buy access to Hyundai’s tech website (again) so I can get a better look at things.
If anyone needs anything, let me know. We can even open a thread here somewhere actually :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So in short: it is not yet possible to use an autopi in an e-Niro / Kona?

In short you can use it. You can “only” read data from it however no controlling windows, A/C, lights etc. is yet possible.

OK, thnx for the addition. The main reason for me to use an Autopi in the e-Niro is the fact that the pre-heater (car heating in winter time) can be started only by setting a timer IN the car. All other cars let you start the pre-heater using the app, but not Kia (at least here in NL).

I want to start it from home. And if possible start it automagically through a combination of looking in my calendar and the outside temperature.

It’s not just Kia and not just in NL, it’s Kia and Hyundai, and they keep refusing to allow access to BlueLink (their telematics package) outside of USA for some reason.

Every year they promise it’ll be available in EU next year.
They’ve been at it for years now :frowning:

Here in NL, the importer did provide an app and connection to the car. It has a connection somewhere behind the dashboard. Unfortunately, that connection to the app is only one way, so you can’t turn the pre-heater on with the app. Very frustrating…

Moved this post to the Hyundai Kona / Ionic subject:

1 Like

You might be able to use the wget tool to download the full Hyundai tech website. It’s fairly easy to use for a command line that tool. I have used it for several different vehicles tech websites.

@waynez

So just to understand, the connector at the back of the fuse box provides unrestricted access to the CAN buses?

Basically it would be the same as accessing the C-BUS behind the rear-view mirror?

@mesmer from little bits I’ve read by the OpenPilot people, at least on one particular Hyundai/Kia, there was full access to every CAN bus back there. One person made a harness for OpenPilot development using that access, so if there’s a way to actually connect all of those to the OBD pins on an AutoPi (doesn’t it use, at most, four pins for CAN data and uses D-CAN as an intermediary?), then maybe my purchase for my 2018 Sonata won’t be a flop.

Here are images related to that finding:

A bit of good news, looks like on my car (2020 Sportage) they gave up on the D-CAN and firewall.
OBD plug now has C-CAN directly connected.