What to do if CAN Recorder doesn't return anything

With my Kona (and I believe other cars inc Ioniq) the CAN Recorder doesn’t return any data. This means its going to be pretty hard to find out how to do a playback.

A couple of things I wanted to achieve with the auto pi is -

• On startup, enable “auto hold”
  • On startup, enable “front parking sensors”

Are there any suggestion how I can figure out how to do this ?

1 Like

I did wonder if there is likely to be another place in the car where the autopi could be connected where the CAN messages can be recorded ? Or am I talking rubbish !

Well, I noticed a port labeled diagnostics !

20181209_141000 20181209_140954

Anyone know if this is an alternative place to plug in autopi ?

Hi Peter

I don’t know about that other diagnostics port, but i have heard about situations where the OBD port is ‘filtered’, ie. where you can’t listen to any CAN traffic. But if you access the CAN wires anywhere else, you can get the traffic.

But I can’t say if that’s the case with your vehicle, it may also be that it’s not the right protocol or that it just doesn’t send anything on that bus, maybe there are multiple busses available or it may only have traffic in certain situations.

That extra diagnostics port could be another way to access the unfiltered CAN bus, or it may be something completely different.

Best regards
/Malte

I did find some more info on this connector labeled “diagnostics” -

Pin 1 - D-CAN (High)
Pin 2 - PCB Block (Fuse - F11) [ Hot in or on start ]
Pin 3 - D-CAN (Low)
Pin 5 - Ground
Pin 6 - E/R Junction Block [ hot at all times ]

So, I’m thinking a cable such as -

OBD2 autopi Pin 4 -> diagnostic pin 5
OBD2 autopi pin 16 -> diagnostics pin 6
OBD2 autopi pin 6 -> diagnostics pin 1
OBD2 autopi pin 14 -> diagnostics pin 3

I realise you can’t say for my car, but if autopi was powered and and was fed with D-CAN data, would it be able to read it do you think ? Or am I way off here !

Thanks,

Pete

Hi Peter

That actually might work.
Alternatively you could try the medium speed CAN pins

So either HS_CAN
OBD2 autopi pin 6 -> diagnostics pin 1
OBD2 autopi pin 14 -> diagnostics pin 3

or MS_CAN
OBD2 autopi pin 3 -> diagnostics pin 1
OBD2 autopi pin 11 -> diagnostics pin 3

Sorry about the long wait, I had to talk to some people much smarter than me :smile:

Merry christmas!

Best regards
/Malte

Many thanks … project for the new year :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @plord,

Have you tested that diagnostic port at all?
I’m curious to see if we (Ioniq/Kona users) can get access to all the CAN traffic…

Thanks
Sandi

1 Like

No … not yet. I’m hoping to look at this on Saturday.

I’ll feed back hereof course :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I checked yesterday, and I have a similar connector in the engine compartment, but mine seams to have more pins that yours…

Odd that they would have so many different implementations…

Hi There, Not sure if this is much help. I have a Kia (very similar to the Hyundai) and have managed to get access to the technical website (kiatechinfo.com) there is a similar one for Hyundai (hyundaitechinfo.com) both sites are subscription based sites. Here’s what I found that may or may not be applicable:

OBD-II port (located drivers side in the fuse box) has the following pin layout
57%20PM
The OBD port only provides access to the D-CAN which is diagnostics only everything else is behind the IGPM (Gateway)

on the Kia there is another connector that has all the BUS lines on it, this interface is actually located on the back of the fuse assembly
08%20PM
44%20PM
57%20PM
10%20PM

So from my very limited understanding all the other BUS lines (C-CAN, M-CAN, P-CAN, B-CAN) are behind the firewall, unless the codes are known to open the firewall you need to use the alternate location to access the BUS
16%20PM

I’m not sure if thats of any help to anyone.

Do you know if there’s the ability to add multiple or access multiple CANBUS through the autopi?

Wayne

edit: This is on a 2018 Kia Sorrento (UMA) 2.0L

1 Like

Well, I made up the connector and it worked as well as the OBD2 port inside the car - ie still no sign of being able to record anything :frowning:

Many thanks for that. I did check the Hyundai Kona shop manual and didn’t see any signs of a similar connector :frowning:

The manual does talk about “GDS” and screen shots showing a diagnostic program running … I’m wondering if there is some special OBD command to send to access such info.

@plord that’s my understanding some code needs to be sent prior to comms that opens the port and allows recording. I’m not sure how you would do that with AutoPi or what the commands would be…

Fun huh.

I’m hoping that the autopi team and explain how the CAN Analyzer can work in these cases … if its just not possible for modern cars, then its going to be impossible to implement most of the use-cases described.

I just found https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YYlZ-IcTQlz-LzaYkHO-7a4SFM8QYs2BGNXiSU5_EwI/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0 for the Soul EV … in there I noticed “Security Access”.

1 Like

Hi guys. I’m new here and very much interested in the autopi. In a few weeks I expect my new e-Nero and I might use an Autopi in it.

Can anyone tell me what the status of this subject is? I read here that the OBD connector in the e-Niro (or Kona) does not give any data, because it is behind a firewall. Is that still the case or is there any solution for this?

What functions are available for the e-Niro, using the standard Autopi?

I don’t think a different connector will help or change anything, as i believe the Hyundai service technicians do everything via the OBD2 as well (including re/configuration of vehicle features).

That said, you can also gain access to the CAN bus from the rear view mirror / camera assembly on the windshield, but you’d need to splice into the wiring going to the camera, as the car will complain if it finds it gone/missing.

It’s the technique OpenPilot Kia/Hyundai folks use to tap into the CAN bus.

Also, since the Kia/Hyundai OpenPilot fork has access to steering, cross traffic radars, cruise control status etc. it seems like they might be the right people to ask about CAN hacking.

BTW, i’m curious… why this:

Front parking sensors work just fine on mine without enabling anything.
As soon as i’m below a certain speed, both front and rear sensors will beep when i’m close to an obstacle.

How do you even specifically enable just the front ones anyways?
The button on the central console turns on/off all of them, don’t they?

Point is that the front parking sensors on the e-Niro only work after pressing a button or after switching to reverse and back. Very strange they don’t switch on automatically at low speed, like all other cars do. Maybe a bug or forgotten to program?