Verizon Wireless - US will not activate these devices

@Malte any update on this issue? Anxious to start using it!

1 Like

@Malte, is this known issue a hardware or software issue? Since the hotspot works and successfully connects to online services such as websites, one must assume it is a software/firmware issue if the problem is on our end. If the problem is on your end, it must be an account issue.

Our end…
Is there an update we can try? Create a new SD card? Firmware update?

Your end…
Can you delete our accounts and let us recreate?

At this point, we still have a $300 paperweight AND a monthly payment to Verizon for a mobile phone service agreement without any benefits.

Anxious to just see if this will even work in my car and what capabilities it has. Still yet to even get to the playing with a dashboard stage.

You mentioned that you have seen the issue before but have not found a solution and are working on it. I’m curious to know what is causing the issue and what steps are being taken to eliminate it. I am an IT consultant and totally understand initial release issues, etc. and am very willing to participate in the troubleshooting process.

I know your plate is very full with product release and project initial stages. If there is any way I can assist with this issue resolution, please let me know.

Hi,

I am getting the exact problem with my SIM card. (Error while bringing up minion for multi-master. Is master at hub01.autopi.io responding?)

I am in Canada and using Bell Mobility as network provider. Connection to the network is working but I am getting very high latency. It seems that my SIM card is configured for HSDPA+ (hsdpa-hsupa), but LTE is not enabled. When I use the SIM in a phone LTE is activated. My assumption is that qmi is having problem activating LTE and fallback to HSPA. I have taken traces with tcpdump directly on the autopi and I am seeing strange behaviour with Wireshark. I am planning to recompile an older version of qmi library and try it out.

You will find below the output of qmi.system_info command on my AutoPi.

Would you mind sharing the output of qmi.system_info for your current setup?

Thanks in advance.

qmi.system_info
[/dev/cdc-wdm0] Successfully got system info:
WCDMA service:
True Status: ‘available’
Preferred data path: ‘no’
Domain: ‘cs-ps’
Service capability: ‘cs-ps’
Roaming status: ‘off’
Forbidden: ‘no’
Location Area Code: ‘XXXXX’
Cell ID: ‘XXXXXXXX’
MCC: ‘XXX’
MNC: ‘XXX’
HS call status: ‘(null)’
HS service: ‘hsdpa-hsupa-supported’
Primary scrambling code: ‘XXX’
Cell broadcast support: ‘off’
Call barring status (CS): ‘all-calls’
Call barring status (PS): ‘all-calls’
Cipher Domain: ‘ps’
LTE service:
True Status: ‘none’
TD-SCDMA service:
SIM reject info: ‘available’"

1 Like

HI @tedgenyc

Everything seems to point towards an issue with the SIM card / the provider.
We have tried to debug the issue in-house, but we have have been unable to replicate it, even with a complete SD image from stherien.

The idea that @stherien presents is currently the most viable cause, so if you could try to share the output of the qmi command, that would be really helpful.

qmi.system_info

Best regards
/ Malte

“[/dev/cdc-wdm0] Successfully got system info:
LTE service:
Domain: ‘ps’
Service capability: ‘ps’
Roaming status: ‘off’
Forbidden: ‘no’
Cell ID: ‘xxxxxxxx’
MCC: ‘xxx’
MNC: ‘xxx’
Tracking Area Code: ‘xxxxx’
Voice support: ‘yes’
eMBMS coverage info support: ‘no’
SIM reject info: ‘available’”

2 Likes

@Malte

Catching up…here’s what I am getting

Latest errors

system info

Hope that helps!

Just a heads up that AT&T cannot sell “naked” SIMs because they won’t work but they can use any IMEI they’re given.

Source: AT&T Employee

2 Likes

Hi All,

Just wanted to notify all in this thread about this guide we’ve written, on how to setup your Verizon SIM. The guide is verified by one of our customers, so it should work for all:

Best,
Peter

That is my exact setup. I have had APN vzwinternet since at least my JUL 8 post. Still no connection to the cloud service. Still no issue with connecting my mobile devices to the hotspot.

Hi @tedgenyc,

I dont believe the issue is with your Verizon setup anymore. I can see you send me a PM, lets take the troubleshooting in that thread so nobody gets confused.

best
Peter

I have the same problem as you. I can’t get this to work with Verizon here in NJ. Did you ever get yours working?

No. Still not working with a Verizon account. However, I’m working with @Peter on a couple of fronts and will keep you in the loop. According to Peter, they have other users who have pay-as-you-go SIM cards from third-party providers that lease Verizon network access (e.g. Speedtalk) so we know it “works” on the Verizon network, just not yet working with a Verizon SIM card (Verizon account).

At what point are you in your trials? Do you have internet access on your mobile device via the AutoPi hotspot?

@mamboozo, where are you in your efforts?

I’ve tried 2 different Verizon sims, one from an iPad and one from an iPhone5. Both were communicating well in their original devices. Both seem to connect in the dongle to the internet, I can use it as a hotspot in the car, but I can’t get the Autopi.io dashboard to see the dongle. I’d really like to use Verizon because that’s what our company is tight with. Not sure where to go next.

That is where I am. I have a gradfathered Verizon account with an unlimited, unthrottled data plan and wish to use a Verizon SIM.

I have been too busy with clients this last week to putz with it too much. I’ll play more over the holiday weekend.

The mobile module in a Quectel EC21 (https://www.quectel.com/product/ec211.htm). I don’t know if this module is the issue with Verizon or if it is a software issue on the AutoPi.

It is frustrating but I have confidence that @Peter will see us through. He has been engaged and responsive.

@tedgenyc @ckent So per @Peter’s suggestion, I got a card from Speedtalk mobile. As soon as I put it in, it started working and has worked…with some small coverage/connectivity issues but nothing terrible. Like you guys, I tried to use a SIM from another device (iPad) and it didn’t work. It did work for about 3 days, then Verizon cut the data on the SIM without telling me. It appears that Verizon does not tolerate IMEI’s that are not registered in their network, but that’s only a guess.

The Speedtalk SIM is $5 a month with more than enough data to coverage average driving…which is cheaper than Verizon anyway. So I would suggest giving up on Verizon and moving to Speedtalk if you want to start using the Autopi.

@mamboozo, I have a Speedtalk SIM on the way; ordered on Amazon just to get my AutoPi working. I’m still working on efforts to get it to work with a Verizon account because I really liked the idea of using it as a hotspot with my unlimited plan for other purposes.

I use openHAB (home automation software) and really want to have these two systems communicating. There will be more data passing across than most users I suspect.

Hi All,

Just want to pitch in here with what @mamboozo already said.

From our investigations it appears that there is no issue with the AutoPi or with the connection to the AutoPi Cloud. The issues seem to be with Verizon, it appears that they don’t allow the devices on the LTE network. May be related to the IMEI not being found in the database, or simply that the subscription needs a specific setting to be allowed to work as a data device.

But all the Verizon branded AutoPi devices are not fixed to Verizon, meaning that you should be able to use any network carrier roaming on Verizon’s network. The reason the other carriers will work is that their restrictions to which devices they allow is looser.

I’m not saying it cannot work directly with a Verizon subscription, but I think it requires some work from Verizon tech support. Unfortunately, this is not something we can help you with because its tied to your personal subscription with Verizon.

My best suggestion is still to switch to another network carrier.

Lets hope we can get everyone online soon :slight_smile:

best
Peter

1 Like

Ok, I received a Speedtalk sim yesterday, activated it, and installed in the dongle. I entered “wholesale” as the APN and today…and now it’s showing that it’s connected to the cloud. I’ll let you know if I see it on my dashboard…Thanks all.

2 Likes