Tesla and AutoPi

Does anyone have experience with AutoPi on Tesla?

I can think of some nice additional use cases for Tesla cars. Sure, the cars are already connected and can do a lot on its own, but with an Autopi connected you’re not restricted by what Tesla can think of and/or want to present to you.

@autopi: I’ve got a Model 3 in Aalborg, if you need something to hack on :wink:

1 Like

Hi @jensk,

Good to hear from you again.

Its definitely possible to use the AutoPi with the Tesla.

A good way to get started would be to simply import the DBC files to the library, and then setup the loggers you want.

We are always up for a test drive, but if you want to test it on your own, then just send me a DM and I’ll send you the DBC files needed for testing this.

best
Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks, and likewise good to get back with AutoPi. Kind of lost interest with the AutoPi/Toyota, but a Tesla is a whole different and much funnier story :smiley:

First step is to get an OBD adapter, as the Model 3 has only a proprietary CAN bus connector (they got a waiver for OBD, as there are no emission data to read out). I’ve ordered an adapter, but not received it yet. Once I get it set up and tested, I’ll get back to you guys.

Regards,
Jens Kristian

Jens,

I am keen to support this work. I can probably get access to a model 3for testing. What adaptor did you buy ?

This one:

Just arrived, but I haven’t found time to play with either the BT OBD adapter/ScanMyTesla or the AutoPi yet.

1 Like

I was interested in the battery degradation stats for a Tesla Model Y and so far I have researched this topic all the way to the custom harness that allows one to access the internal CAN bus and “scan my tesla” app with a connection to teslalogger.
I was wondering where to put the teslalogger and the raspberry pi is one of the options. The AutoPi CM4 seems like the perfect solution that could integrate everything:

1. CAN bus connection
  2. Raspberr Pi for teslalogger
  3. 4G modem for data access
    With a potential couple of additional benefits - CAN to bluetooth/wifi bridge, charging/temperature automation.

The recommended “scan my tesla” CAN to bluetooth adaptor alone is ~$140, autopi CM4 price is comparable to that, especially if there was a community developing a custom image for AutoPi.