Support for electric vehicles

Hi

Does the Autopi support electric vehicles?
I have an Hyundai Ioniq Electric. In US they can eg. start heating with an app, but the app is not awailable in Europe :frowning:
Therefor am I highly interested in somerhing like Autopi.

Thx.
Mikael

1 Like

Hi Mikael

Well, it really depends on the vehicle, especially regarding OBDII support.

The question is if the car exposes the CAN bus, and how the different systems in the car is connected.

I found this article (he also has a bunch of other videos about the ionic here) where he shows how to retrieve the charging status from an OBDII dongle and a raspberry pi
(This, in a nutshell, is exactly what the autoPi dongle is, with some additional features as well, 4G modem, accelerometer etc.)

I donā€™t know if you will be able to control the same stuff as the blue link application, or if the different systems are connected to the can bus, in which case you may be able to interface with them directly.

So you may basically have two ways of doing this.

1. Interface with the blue link system in the car. I donā€™t know if itā€™s possible, as itā€™s a paid service, so they have probably invested some time in making it hard to do if you donā€™t pay. But then again, the manufacturers has again and again shown that they will skip stuff if itā€™s too expensive, and security is time consuming ie. itā€™s expensiveā€¦

2. Control it via the CAN bus, which may or may not be possible, but if itā€™s possible, youā€™d need to reverse engineer what commands to send, or wait for someone else to do it, as you are probably not the only one looking to do this :slight_smile: You should be able to log the commands in the car, while you press buttons, to see what commands to make autopi send.

The blue link system seems to be first started in 2012 or 13, so it is not impossible that someone somewhere has found a way to access and or control the system.

Thanks for your question Mikael
I hope my answer helps you :slight_smile:

Hi Malte

Thx. for your reply.
It sounds like I would definately be able to get some info from the var on battery level, charging power, etc.
This is in itself very valuable.

If it is possible to control some functions, by reverse engineering, that would be awesome.
I have placed a pre-order, looking forward to play with this :slight_smile:

The Bluelink app clmes for free in US, but is not available in Europe. I am not sure if there is any bluelink ā€œfeaturesā€ in the European cars or if it has been torally removed.

Best regards
Mikael

Cool :slight_smile:

Yeah, thatā€™s difficult to know, maybe you can find a small black box somewhere in your car, if you look hard enough.
Sometimes its cheaper to just add some hardware to all products, in this case, vehicles, than to only install it in some of them.

Thanks
/Malte

Hi,

If you use a Android phone you could sidloade the app (if you can obtain the APK file).

Yoggi

Hi Mikael,

I am a new Ioniq EV owner, and have been thinking of using this product for remote monitoring and possibly control too (if the commands get figured out.

I was wondering if you have already received the AutoPi and tried it outā€¦

Thanks
Sandi

1 Like

Hi Sandy

I have received my dongle and am in the process of figuring out how it works.
For now it does not seem to be working, but everything is work in progress, so expect some updates will make it work.

\Mikael

Hi Mikael,

I have also just received my dongle today, and am just checking to see if there are any updates.

Will start playing around with it on the weekend.

Regards
Sandi

Haveā€™t really been playing much with the the AutoPi on my Ioniq, but since the guide on how to use the obd command in the terminal, I have been experimenting a bit.

I am able to get BMS data from the car while itā€™s charging (via the online dashboard), and I was thinking that there must be a nicer way to go about processing this data.
I am assuming that a python script(s) running on the Raspberry Pi will be able to retrieve this data without me actively accessing the AutoPi online dashboard, so that is what I will be trying out next. (once I receive the RPi3 adapter board)

Sandi

Hi Sandi

Currently the device can push any kind of data to the server, and we are working on making the dashboard be able to display custom data, so that you can push X data to the server, and then configure a widget to show that data on the dashboard.

Can you elaborate about what data you are retrieving? formats etc?

Best regards
/Malte

Hi Malte,

All I had done was monitor the state of charge and cell voltages via the terminal by issuing obd.send 7E4#022101 through to 7E4#022105.

7E4#022101 and 7E4#022105 provide BMS related data like charge current, SoC, Batt DC voltage, etc.
I used this to convert the data from 7E4#022101 and 7E4#022105.

The returned data format was similar to (for 7E4#022101):
7EC#103D6101FFFFFFFF
7EC#213E264826480300
7EC#22080D6E0D0D0D0D
7EC#230D0D0D000DB326
7EC#24B2270000920000
7EC#259D5600009DF800
7EC#260039E100003782
7EC#2700131FEE0D0157
7EC#280000000003E800

The only responses relevant are those starting with #21 to #28ā€¦

For the individual cell voltages, one needs to query 7E4#022102, 7E4#022103 and 7E4#022104 according to this table: https://github.com/JejuSoul/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs/blob/master/Ioniq%20EV/extendedpids/Hyundai_Ioniq_EV_BMS_cell_data.csv
Each byte in the response refers to one cell. Convert each HEX value to Dec and divide by 50 to get the correct voltage for each cell.

It was interesting watching as the voltages of some cells increased before the others and so on. But all cells were always within one LSB of each other.

What I would do with this data is to log it at regular intervals (every minute maybe) while the car is charging and then one can compare the dynamics of the charge process between standard charge and quick charges to help isolate potential issues (not sure that Hyundai would take any custom suggestions though), but it will be interesting to see.

On the other end (discharging) I really want to be able to plot vehicle speed versus instantaneous current drawn from the battery and rate of discharge (SoC) to better understand how different driving impacts on the range of the car.

Early days yetā€¦

Regards
Sandi

2 Likes

Hi Sandi,

Just gonna jump in this conversation. Absolutely solid work from your side. You seems to be a couple of steps ahead of what we are working on at the moment.

In one of the upcoming releases (one of the two next ones), we are going to make it so that you can configure the widgets on the dashboard to include whatever data you have logged on your bus. This could be BMS data from your car.

For now you could actually write your own code module, which parses the result of the obd.send command. You can do that from the cloud. The data can be logged locally if you want and then everything from your side is ready when the Cloud is.

Again, really cool work.

best
Peter

1 Like

Hi Peter,

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Yes, I saw that one can now upload python scripts via the cloud. Havenā€™t tried it out yet as I was waiting to finish upgrading my system to RPi3.

Will get back into the game soon.
Once I have something working, I will open a dedicated thread on the subject.

On the subject of widgets, will it be possible to fully customize the dashboard in the future releases, so that we can remove widgets? The current, default, set are not of much use to EV users. :blush:

Thanks
Sandi

2 Likes

Hi Sandi,

Yes that will definately be possible. We hope to be able to add this feature in one of the next release.

best
Peter

1 Like

Hi all,

So, the first part of the EV update is here. This update contains the possibilities to add your own codes specific to your EV. You can now add specific formulas to each code, to make sure itā€™s formatted correctly. This should make it possible for you to add a code, setup a logger for the code and then have the code visualized in the dashboard. See this guide on how to get started with everything:

The next update will contain more about how to configure the trips settings for the EV.

best

Peter

Like that ? But seem not work. Itā€™s miss something ā€¦

image image

I just added SOH and SOC for the Hyundai Kona to the community library - I think this will be the same for the Hyundai Ioniq and Kia eNero.

PID info from https://github.com/JejuSoul/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs/blob/master/Hyundai%20Kona%20EV%20%26%20Kia%20Niro%20EV/extendedpids/003_Kona%26Niro_EV_BMS.csv

To test, add single quotes around the header and hit run.

$ obd.query SOC_Display mode=220 pid=105 header='7E4' bytes=54 formula='bytes_to_int(messages[0].data[38:39])/2' unit=% baudrate=500000
 protocol=6 verify=false force=true
value: 99
_stamp: '2019-03-04T18:21:05.640377'
_type: soc_display
unit: '%'

$ obd.query SOH mode=220 pid=105 header='7E4' bytes=54 formula='(bytes_to_int(messages[0].data[31:32])*256+bytes_to_int(messages[0].data[32:33]))/10' unit=% baudrate=500000 protocol=6 verify=false force=true
value: 100
_stamp: '2019-03-04T19:16:47.213884'
_type: soh
unit: '%'
1 Like

Thankā€™s
But i canā€™t find it ā€¦

Iā€™m not sure ā€¦ maybe something needs to be done by the autopi folks. I see -

Note SOC_Display and SOH towards the bottom.

Maybe try 2018 ?

1 Like

Yes. Thanks. I found all in kona EV 2018
Very thank you
So we need to make widget now, isnā€™t it ?