Stream Live Cam

its possible to wake up autopi with sms code, obtain public ip for 4g session via dashboard, widget or terminal, and connect to webcam usb to live stream via widget or software in Raspbian (Motion or Mjpg-Streamer)?

Hi Daniel

Yes it is possible today to wake the device with a text message.
But the device will most likely not have a public IP address when you are using the 4G connection.
So you can’t just set it up to stream the video, and then connect to the device to see the stream, you will have to configure the dongle to stream it somewhere, and from there you can watch the stream.
It shouldn’t be too hard to setup, but it’s not something that we plan on incorporating into the dashboard at this point in time though.

But remember that you can do all this on your own device right now if you want, as it is just a raspberry pi, and you of course have root access to it.

Maybe you can use a service like one of the following

If you do end up doing something like this, we’d be very interested to hear about your project.

Best regards
/Malte

I will buy Autopi soon and my first project will be to use with a usb cam to save online photos when autopi boots or livestream manually. With other Pi Zero i have, it can be accesible via VPN hamachi when Pi boots, connected with a 4G Phone, via it’s hotspot Wifi. With simple access to ssh 22 port via vpn private ip on 4G connection, and a simple Android app, i can access to images, livestream and others funtions in my Pi Zero (With MotionEye works too, but I want to avoid installing additional software, only vpn client). I’m going on the right way with Autopi? What Webcams are compatible with autopi?

Hi Daniel

It sounds like a cool project, feel free to post pictures, info when you get started - we’d love to hear the technical details about your project! :slight_smile:

If you can make it work on a raspberry pi, it should work the same on our device :slight_smile:
So if the usb webcam is supported on the raspberry pi, it will work on a autopi dongle as well.

Best regards
/Malte