Running a command by sending a SMS!

I am wondering how can I run a command by sending a SMS or playing a file by sending SMS?!

I was thinking about that the other day. Currently there is no option for that as far as I know. Something about making sure the command was sent from you, the user and not someone that spoofed your number.
One idea came to my mind: cronjob that would run every minute or so and run a script. The script would then ask the modem for latest unread message.
Unfortunately this is out of my league to program :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How about something like this: https://remote.it/ . Would get you the access you need if you don’t want to setup dyndns and secure connection options on your own.

1 Like

Yes, it’s not currently possible, SMS can wake the device, but it will not do any processing to the content of the message.

But as you say, technically it’s not difficult to implement, but we’d need a way to keep it secure before we can roll out any official support for it.

@Mikael
That looks cool, and although it would not exactly give the same as being able to send commands via SMS, as text messages can also wake up the device if it’s in sleep mode.
And being able to always SSH to the device is definitely a cool feature.

Best regards
/Malte

1 Like

Yes, I suggested it more as workaround. It has its uses especially with RPI setups, its also an paid service if using more then one setup so its not optimal. But its a easy setup and workaround for needs that would require some more “hands-on” access to the device if the user does not want to setup remote access using dyndns and some secure remote access. Im not using it in my AutoPi currently but have used it in other IOT solutions where I needed remote access but did not have time or possibility to setup a dedicated VPN solution/setup.

2 Likes

Recommend using ZeroTier (www.zerotier.com) for remote access. You’ll need some work on IPTables to open what you need but has been up and running for months on mine.

3 Likes

Hy there. Can you help configuring the zero tier one to be able to ssh it?