Kona Electic 12V battery died

This weekend we went away for 2 days camping - so car was parked with autopi connected. This morning the car doors could be unlocked manually only and the dash was dead. Couldn’t start the car.

I had to call the recovery service who briefly charged the 12v battery and the car came back to life.

Now I’m home I can take a look at the logs. The dash does show low aux voltage -

Which first I thought strange … but then looking at the logs I think this was recorded between autopi start and shutdown for critical level.

Is there a way to tell if the autopi caused the battery drain ?

Some log entries I noticed -

2019-06-21 14:58:05,772 [messaging        :688 ][INFO    ][776] Triggering event with tag 'vehicle/battery/discharging': {'level': 100}
2019-06-21 15:00:55,565 [messaging        :688 ][INFO    ][776] Triggering event with tag 'vehicle/battery/discharging': {'level': 90}
2019-06-21 19:20:56,678 [cloud_cache      :184 ][WARNING ][769] Temporarily unable to upload batch with 58 entries from queue 'pend': HTTPSConnectionPool(host='api.autopi.io', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /logbook/storage (Caused by NewConnectionError('<requests.packages.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0xb3605110>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution',))
2019-06-21 19:24:20,523 [messaging        :688 ][INFO    ][767] Triggering event with tag 'vehicle/battery/critical_level': {'level': 60}
2019-06-21 21:30:51,276 [messaging        :688 ][INFO    ][737] Triggering event with tag 'vehicle/battery/critical_level': {'level': 40}

So the battery was drained when we parked and when the autopi couldn’t get a data connection.

I’m wondering if there is a case of high drain in poor signal areas ?

hello
i have 2 issue not solve
maybe it can help you

1- sometime my car dont want open the back door. sometime I can’t change the drive. the car stay in park mode.

I should put off the 12v battery for 1 minute, then it is ok

2- sometime the autopi shutdown and in the log I see battery level 0, so critical level. but in fact, my battery is never lower than 12,7 when I drive

all of this is from long time, with or without custom code or something.

my logg was analyzed by autopi team and they say maybe it is caused because autopi request something if the car is on or off, for fuel car. so maybe it is cause a error. and when too much error, then autopi make something strange.

To protect my battery, I put 12,5 V for condition sleep
and 12,2 for shutdown

For the bug, there is no solution, just I have the tools close to me to unplug the 12V battery if append.

Thanks.

I guess we are looking forward to the new software update which should better detect when electric cars are “on”.

2 Likes

Thanks for highlighting this! I’ve got one of those Anker PowerCore car starters on the way from Amazon tomorrow to add to the wrench in my glovebox that I’ve used to disconnect the battery for the issue also reported by @Remy_Tsuihiji, hopefully that’ll complete the necessary kit required to keep the car useful!

On the issue of the Check EV/stuck in Park mode issue, I’ve seen it yet again this weekend. Anecdotally, I suspect it’s occurring when the run time of the car is very short. In this case I just moved the car from the driveway to make room for a friend in a visiting Leaf which needed a charge. My suspicion is there’s some in-flight queries over the bus which get interrupted and confuse things on the car side.

My battery was died probably for autopi , I new used 3 min cycled and a low critical limit to stay alive, Hyundai changed it, now I use standard critical limit and live seems good. ( but uses some energy always to read voltage, therefore with small battery is so a bit dangerous )