Installing Add Ons With No 4G

I have a DIY edition, currently working on getting the 4G working. I am using a Pi 3 and am trying to include a touch screen. How do I install add ons without 4G? Is there a way to download them via my PC? I mainly need the touch screen display add on right now.

Hi @bsolon524 ,

By far the easiest way is to just SSH into the device and then do a FTP transfer of the modules you want to install.

If you are in doubt about how to do this, then just send me a PM or reach out to support@autopi.io

best
Peter

Where do I get the add ons from?

Hi Brandon

By SSH’ing into the device you can install packages from virtually any package manager you want.
But to support the touch screen you mention, you will need to install the packages that are specific to your touch screen, and you will also need to install the graphical ui packages that are stripped from the Raspbian Stretch Lite distro.
So you may be looking at something like this.

Alternatively you can start over with a fresh raspbian stretch (non lite), that way it should have all the ui components installed, but we unfortunately don’t have a guide detailing how to install the autopi-core on a full Raspbian stretch distro, instead of the default lite version, but it is on our roadmap. If you do decide to update your raspbian stretch lite image, we’d love to hear about your results.

Remember to backup your SD card, or alternatively you can get the autopi core image from our github page. But it is probably easier to just backup your card, as installing the autopi core image will require you to make some changes before it will connect to the cloud (it’s all described on the release page on github though).

Best regards
/Malte

1 Like

Actually, I already have played with installing LXDE on my autopi, which had no issues. What I was looking for, though, was the add on to have a dashboard display on the touch screen.

Hi Brandon

One of our planned features, is a local dashboard that will display information streaming from the car, but this is not yet finished. So currently the way to do it is to open the browser and view the dashboard on my.autopi.io.

The code running on the device is open source, so it would be very possible to modify the code to not only store the data in redis, but also push it to a local dashboard (maybe via a websocket), maybe running in the browser.
Or if the added latency is acceptable, to fetch it from redis.

Best regards
/Malte

1 Like