Direct interface with CAN bus

Hi all,

I would like to run an independent service on the AutoPi in order to allow more flexibility.
Is there any guide for it? I would like to write my service in Python.

Thanks!

Hi @maayan4,

With the new release today, this is possible now. Included in the release is the possibility to create you own custom modules, written in python, and sync these to your device. Your custom module can be called from triggers or other modules if you want. This is the release notes:

best
Peter

1 Like

Hi, right now I am developing a new compact CAN bus piggy back interface board for the range of PSoc processors, actually I think the PSoc is much more powerful than the Arduino stuff out there to do things on the CAN-bus and connecting all kind of sensors in an easy, cheap and more reliable way.
I choose to extend a common standard PSoc development board with 2 CAN-bus interfaces you can order anywhere on the internet for about 9US$: the CY8CKIT-043 but it’s pin-compatible with many other of their boards.
To operate with can bus you must just add the optional 32kHz crystal.
Than you have (many) SPI, I2c, UART, RTC, ADC’s, … and the PSoc supports 1.8v to 5,5v even up to 3 different voltage levels at the same time! You can for example interface 1 I2c bus on 5v and another on 3v3 on another port and doing analog until 5v.
The PCB I am developing contains includes :slight_smile:
2 CAN bus IC’s (TJA1051/T3) who can operate on 3v3 or 5v, the PCB design allows jumper settings to set the voltage for the Low voltage IO-bus. This CAN-bus chip is capable to do 5Mbit per sec! So you can have a slow standard channel and a fast second channel! (depending on the limit of the PSoc-component)
This CAN-BUS chip has extra ESD protection but I’ve put even an extra layer of TVS protection-diodes on top.
2 LD1117 voltage regulators; one for 3v3 and one for 5v able to deliver 1.2 amps continues each.
I want to poll who’s more interested in this PCB and who wants to test maybe some prototypes I am going to order soon?