Debugging my autopi

Hi,

I installed my autopi in early june and got my SIM card running in July.

AFter I got the SIM card installed ok, I could find a few trips from June and early July

I have been driving with it installed (in south sweden, with Hallon) quite a few times since then, and checked that my SIM card has data still left on it, but still I can only see trips up until the third of July.

I also checked that my SIM card was not PUK blocked (which happened before).

What could have gone wrong? Where can I find log files to debug this problem?

The local.autopi.io page tells me nothing, as far as I can see…

I just went out for a drive to collect a little more information about its status.

I tried to send a a few SMS:s to it, but it didn’t seem to wake up.

When I sit in the unstarted car, there is no autopi wifi, but when I start the car, the wifi starts as well, however I can no longer access the local.autopi.io page. It loads, but just retries connecting continuously…

I can however check the software status from my phone, when my car is running. Now I checked and it told me that the software version was up to date.

When running the my.autopi.io web page I tried to run a few linux commands, from the terminal, like “ls” or “uname -a”, but it just told me that those commands aren’t available… (Hmm… Maybe i should have tried dmesg , but I forgot to try it…)

I am an embedded software developer working with Linux for a living and with some experience with raspberry pis at home, so if I just get a couple of hints in the right direction, I’ll be able to give you some more info on what’s been going wrong.

What would you recommend as the next step?

Hi Kenneth

Have you looked on the events page on my.autopi.io?
It sounds weird that it won’t connect to local.autopi.io, and sometimes it’s hard to debug because if the device shuts down, the device you used to connect to the hotspot, will usually just fallback to another known wifi endpoint, or the 3G/4G connection, and then the local.autopi.io page will just continually try to connect.

(The local.autopi.io page is hosted on our server, so that you can connect to it, then connect to the hotspot, then the page will reload itself, and either go to the same page again, or if the hotspot is connected, go to the actual site hosted on the device)

Regarding the terminal.
Remember that it can only run saltstack commands, but if you wan’t to run linux commands on the device, you can use the cmd module to do it like so

cmd.run 'pwd'

We could probably also explain that better in the text that is shown in the terminal.

Regarding the issues you are seeing, here is a few pointers / possible causes

• Have you tried monitoring the wifi hotspot, that may be the easiest way to see if the device is turned on. If it turns off while driving, it could be due to critical voltage. But you should be able to see that on the events page on my.autopi.io
  • Have you tried running the command obd.status (when the engine is running)
    The trips in the cloud platform is based on events that are generated from the RPM response from the obd connection. So if the car is not responding correctly to the rpm queries, it will not trigger any trips.

Best regards
/Malte

Yes, I checked the events page, but it only includes events up until the third of July. Up until then it logged that battery voltage looked good, latest values between 14.8 and 15 volts.

Now I went out for a drive and tried a few saltstack commands.

obd.status worked fine and returned status for several things, but ec2x.status never returned, neigher did cloud.status, nor the qualcomm specific status. acc.status returned ok though.

I just took the autopi out to look if something was loose inside it but it looks ok. Is there any image I might try to flash onto the sd card that might help me get it running again, or would you suggest other ways forward?

Hmm… That’s interesting!! Now some events from yesterday and today showed up on the cloud page!

But not correctly… The last trip from a gas station which I did just an hour ago today (2018-07-29-13:00 maybe), looks ok on the map, but it thinks I did it yesterday evening.

The trip of about an hour I did yesterday says “duration 19 hours” on the cloud page, and when I click it, I get just a grey page, no map at all.

It also seems to say that all my trips are “distance: 0 km”, whether I get a map or not.

Now after another trip, the trips page now shows a new trip, which is the last half of the trip done today at 13:00. The first half of that trip is in another trip marked 19:19 from yesterday (please show 24 hour times instead of AM/PM !)

Why would it split my trip from the gas station into two trips?

The local.autopi.io page still doesn’t work, but I was able to get a response from ec2x.imei for example.

My experince so far is that it turns off my autopi whenever i stop the engine. I have a bmw f30 (335) built in january 2012.

Is this normal?

Hi Kenneth

Yeah we are working on the UI to show dates and units in a configurable format - shouldn’t be too long :slight_smile:

So if I understand correctly, you drove to the gas station today, but the trips indicate that you drove there yesterday at 19:19, and then today drove back?

Regarding the device turning off, it should be turned on for 30 minutes after your turn off the engine, and then wake up for 10 minutes, every hour.

Can you check the events sent from the device - and specifically look at the time you turn off the engine, and see if it just stops sending events, or if you do get the “nice, going to sleep”-events (see below for example)

Area: power    Event: sleep    Data:

{ "event.power.delay": 10 }
{ "event.power.interval": 3600 }
{ "event.power.reason": "engine_stopped" }

Maybe your car turns off the power to the OBD2 port once you turn off the engine?

Best regards
/Malte

These are the latest events in my log right now. I took my latest drive yesterday, and the autopi is still sitting in the OBD-port.

Like I mentioned, I have it in a BMW F30 335i, built january 2012.

Edit: I just went out and tried a bluetooth ELM327 dongle in my car, and it said that the voltage was around 12.1 to 12.4 volts when the engine wasn’t running

Edit 2: Regarding my trip to the gas station on sunday, it does NOT show the trip TO the gas station, but it did cut the trip FROM the gas station into two trips. Not sure if it might have decided to update it’s clock at the same time, or something strange like that. On saturday (before the gas station trip) I did notice that the times seemed to be a few hours wrong.

Jul 29, 2018, 3:21:58 PM
event
battery
charging
{ “event.battery.voltage”: 14.9 }
{ “event.battery.level”: 100 }
Jul 29, 2018, 3:21:54 PM
event
battery
overcharging
{ “event.battery.voltage”: 15 }
Jul 29, 2018, 3:21:51 PM
event
battery
charging
Jul 29, 2018, 3:21:45 PM
event
battery
charging
{ “event.battery.voltage”: 14.8 }
Jul 29, 2018, 3:21:40 PM
event
battery
overcharging
Jul 29, 2018, 3:21:35 PM
event
battery
charging
{ “event.battery.voltage”: 14.8 }
Jul 29, 2018, 3:21:30 PM
event
battery
overcharging
Jul 29, 2018, 3:21:26 PM
event
battery
charging

Hi,

Because there was no activity for a while at the topic I close it. If your problem still exists or find another one, please do not hesitate to open a new topic or mail to support@autopi.io

Best regards,

Armand