Console commands timing out

When using the console inside the online UI commands are timing out while dongle status can be fetched using the “Dongle Status” menu entry on the left side.

Your environment

• Dongle Version: Not shown in interface, only stating “up to date”
    probably e582497af01162ce4d6023f1b836811b13fc388a (release.updated event)

Steps to reproduce

• Add Dongle to car
  • Park in a location the SIM does have network access
  • Wait until it activates / wake the Dongle
  • Refresh “Dongle Status”, see the Dongle answers
  • Try to get help from console (should succeed)
  • Try to get rpi.help from console

Expected behaviour

• Command succeds, help is printed

Actual behaviour

$ test.ping
true

$ minionutil.help
Timeout has occurred
To increase timeout (in seconds): _timeout=60

$ minionutil.help
'''minionutil.help'' is not available.'

$ rpi.help
Timeout has occurred

$ power.help
Timeout has occurred

$ cloud.help
Timeout has occurred

Hi @Luzifer

Getting the help commands is currently taking longer than it should. This is because the commands actually parses the python files on the device, searching for help documentation. For some reason Salt is not fast at this specific command. We are working on improving this by utilize caching of some sort.

For now can you try adding the _timeout parameter, like

power.help _timeout=60

This should give the device more time to reply.

If that doesn’t work, try doing it from the cloud terminal instead of locally on the device.

Let me know if it works.

Best
Peter

Maybe a solution for this might be to omit the *.help hint in help command and generate a static documentation hosted in the web like the documentation for the other Saltstack modules.

(That’s also something I’d prefer because I can read the documentation without having to wait for the device to be online…)

Yes that is exactly what we are planning. Then its also possible to read the help when the device is offline.

1 Like

Hi,

My AutoPI also returns " Timeout has occurred To increase timeout from the default 30, to 60 seconds: $timeout=60"

However, I can’t seem to get the command to actually increase the timeout correct, can you please clarify how to add/update the _timeout parameter, please?

Hi Aujo

What command are you trying to execute?
If you have updated the device, did you restart it afterwards?

Best regards
/Malte

Hi, I also need to increase the Timeout time. Even my autopi answers:
Timeout has occurred To increase timeout from the default 30, to 60 seconds: $timeout=60"
BUT, what command should I run from the terminal to increase this timeout?
Is there a terminal guide for the newbie?

Hi Toch

You simply add the following argument to the command that you want to set the timeout for.

your_command $timeout=60

It’s currently not possible to set the timeout globally for all commands, as it varies a lot how long it takes a command to reply.

Br
/Malte