Brand New to AutoPi, Not Clear on the Device

Hello all,

I’m brand new to the AutoPi (i.e. just came off Google) and I have some questions trying to understand exactly how this might work for my use case and about the device itself. Sorry for so many questions!:

(I am very familiar with the RPi, DIY IoT stuff using other Microprocessors such as the ESP8266, C programmer, etc.)

The intended vehicle is a RV built in 2000 (Chevy) – I don’t know much about the ODB port so I’m not sure if the RPi can work on this machine or not (or how to test)?

From a technical perspective, what is needed to start with a DIY dev board, and make it functionally the exact same thing as the pre-assembled 2nd gen product? I know it needs an RPi obviously, but I’m more interested in things like the LTE modem, GPS, etc. I noticed the store ships a “Replacement pack” – if you buy the DIY board and the replacement pack (and bring your own RPi), is that exactly the same as the pre-assembled 2nd Gen? That option is considerably cheaper so I suspect there are still things missing…

On the software side, I found the GitHub repo for the AutoPi core – which I assume with a relatively small amount of effort I could setup and run myself. What is the relationship / requirement for the code running on the RPi compared to the AutoPi Cloud? Can I make valuable use of the DIY version in my car without using the AutoPi cloud? Ideally I would most likely be interested in channeling the data from this into MQTT to feed into an already-designed hub for my RV.

Thank you if you can help answer these questions, and I apologize if I missed these answers somewhere on the site – I did try to find them before posting.

Hi @coogle

I just started working on some similar “vision” … I own a HymerCar Grand Canyon (part-time office) Van. It’s a Fiat Ducato. Plans are to integrate the OBD / engine oriented part (autopi) with some of the aspects that make an RV an RV… like water and electricity levels, intrusion detection, some weather monitoring, … whatever else.

Maybe we can team-up on that occasionally.

Cheers