Autopi WIFI only as hotspot?

Hello,
i am in batch 3 (order number #1533) so i guess i’ll get my autopi soon, right?

i wanted to ask something about the autopi wifi, i’ve read it will use the integrated rpi zero w also as a wifi hotspot

But will be possible to use the autopi wifi to connect to a wifi?
I live in Italy and here my ISP(fastweb) created a service called WOW-FI, all the city has hotspots where you can connect and use with no cost

Thanks
Fabio

Hi @Fabio_Valentino

Yes we are shipping at full speed at the moment. It wont be long until we are up-to-date with all orders.

In the first version you are receiving, the WiFi is only used as a hotspot, because you need to be able to log on to the device and configure it.

We are going to change this later on, so that the WiFi is going to be able to do both. But its not possible at the moment.

Best
Peter

Any idea on when you will have an update that allows you to connect the AutoPi to a hotspot? I have a dedicated AT&T hotspot for my truck and would rather use it for connectivity than pay for the additional line on my account for the AutoPi dongle.

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi @5kunk-C137,

Thank you for reaching out.

We are working on this right now. I’m estimating it will be another couple of weeks until its ready.

best
Peter

Any updates yet on this? Using autopi with WiFi data instead of just a hotspot.

Hi @Gerard_Dantel and All others,

We do have updates for you. This was released in this version a couple of weeks ago:

You can now have the device working in both Client and Hotspot mode at the same time, meaning that you can connect it to another WiFi network.

You need to update the device to the latest software version to get this release. You can do that from the AutoPi Cloud by checking the software status page.

best
Peter

2 Likes

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the update. Nice to hear that WiFi adapter can be used for hotspot (to configure device) and to connect to Wifi networks as a client. Is there a way to change the SSID (autopi-(dongle-ID) to own SSID. Usecase is to connect smartphone to Wifi hotspot in order to stream audio/video data and play through bluetooth connectio with audio system of the car.

Looking forward hearing from you,

ps. please don’t punish me for being a noob without advanced python/saltstack skills. :wink:

Best regards,
Pravin

Hi @Pravin

This is actually one of the areas we are working on at the moment. From the next release (due mid next week), it will be possible to configure the SSID from the Cloud.

And dont worry, we welcome all types of users just the same :slight_smile:

best
Peter

Hi Peter,

Can I already use my autopi as a WiFi hotspot for a internet connection instead of local only access to the autopi?

best regards,
Pravin

Hi @Pravin,

Yes indeed. This was included in one of the latest releases (3rd of october):

From the local endpoint (local.autopi.io) you can now configure your device to work as both hotspot and client, meaning that you can connect to the local AutoPi hotspot and the AutoPi can in turn connect to another WiFi hotspot. This can be beneficial if you have the WiFi edition or if you just want to save data while you are near you own home or a known hotspot.

best
Peter

Thanks Peter,
Just tested and worked perfectly fine.
very happy …

1 Like

Hi Peter,
there is a problem with my Dongle I guess…
after last update I am not able to connect to autopi Hotspot it just doesn’t show up

Do you have any idea?

Thanks

Hi @Fabio_Valentino

Please check if your device is up-to-date and if you have access to the Cloud. Is the globe in the Cloud green?

best
Peter

after some reboots the problem looks solved! maybe was my phone… sorry

1 Like