AutoPi -> Cloud Analytics Software

@Daniel_Blair and @SJrX both have discussed projects involving getting data into analytics software
AutoPi to InfluxDB Success is an example

Since I can’t post on those topics, i thought i’d make a new one for additional discussion.

For information purposes here is where I am in my quest:

2005 Chevrolet Silverado - that I really want to ‘upgrade’ partially as a personal project (I’m a Data Scientist by night ;), and partially because I have a sort of hope/desire that having this kind of live data from my vehicle will help me improve it (get ahead of maintenance, improve fuel efficiency, find better routes to places?)

My current plan is to send the data into Sumo Logic (They have free-tier accounts, and provide a whole slew of tools for working with the data) But the truth is that I’m really most interested in getting it into “any” cloud analytics tool.

I don’t currently have an autoPi, as it’s kind of an expensive ‘toy’ for me to get if I don’t feel confident I can make it work.

coming up on a year into the projects @Daniel_Blair what would you change?

Additionally, I have more experience with FluentD, and because it has a myriad of input and/or output plugins, it seems like it would be a great configuration because once I get the “input” side working, others later on should be able to swap out their own output needs to get data into whatever destination/format they desire.

Curious:
It would seem that this page Send device data to own server | AutoPi Documentation
is refering to exfiltration of data. Just to be clear, what data is/is not avaliable via this route?

I’m asking because I have read in other places “export the CAN data”, and to be honest, I am not sure if the CAN data is same/different whats being referenced in the above link?

Hi @Kenneth_Barry,

Cool to see people coming up with creative ideas using the AutoPi :smiley:

So from what I can read, you’re trying to find a way to feed data into analytics software. There’s mainly 2 routes you could take. The first is what you mentioned: setting up your own server that the AutoPi device would be sending the data to directly. This way you’d be getting the data in as real-time as it comes and basically any data (other than data related to configuration/management) will be sent to your server instead of the default api.autopi.io one. The other way would be to retrieve the data through our API. You could set something up that retrieves the data every hour/day. You can retrieve all available fields from the /logbook/storage/fields endpoint, see which ones you’re interested in and then retrieve the raw data from the /logbook/storage/raw endpoint.

The requests would look something like this:

$ curl -X GET "https://api.autopi.io/logbook/storage/fields/" -H "accept: application/json" -H "Authorization: APIToken <REDACTED>"

$ curl -X GET "https://api.autopi.io/logbook/storage/raw/?device_id=<REDACTED>&data_type=track.pos&start_utc=2022-01-01T10:13:21.276594Z&end_utc=2022-01-31T11:07:07.177850Z&page_size=100&page_num=0" -H "accept: application/json" -H "Authorization: APIToken <REDACTED>"

You’ve already got the link for setting up your own server, so here’s one for calling the API endpoints. Please note that there are a few endpoints which have an updated version, so for those use v2.

About the CAN data: yeah, I think that’s referring to something else. Specifically, getting a dump of the traffic on the CAN bus.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

I think originally I saw a “mqtt” to Analytics software project, and later read something that made me think “well maybe there is a much more direct route”

One other question I keep coming to is "How does the data get from the device to “the cloud”?

I see that 4g/lte capabilities is mentioned.

“by default” the device can read lots of sources of data, an “by default” I can configure it to atleast “attempt” to send data to a remote server…

is 4g/lte the only route? Anything regarding piggy-backing off bluetoothing to my cell-phone and using that data connection?
w/ the 4g/LTE, I’m assuming I would need to get a SIM from a carrier to use that capability?

I have been a little confused by the documentation: All the stuff I seem to find in the documentation seems very low-level for the device directly…

Perhaps I’m looking in the wrong place?

Found this “goldmine” Getting started | AutoPi Documentation

Lots of the questions I have were answered here.

This topic was automatically closed 33 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.